Lately I have found myself feeling a little overwhelmed. Between work, running this blog and preparing for our baby girl (whose due date is less than 2 and a half months away!), I find myself either caught up in work or constantly thinking about my long list of to-do’s. The last several months have flown by and sometimes I look down at my stomach or catch a glimpse in the mirror every so often and think, “woah, when did this happen?!”. It’s like I went from a little bump to a full-blown belly! Moments like this make me realize how quickly time can fly by.
I think it’s natural that the older we get the more we fall into a routine and in a sense run on auto-pilot. That combined with any stressors or issues we may be dealing with can cause us to lose sight of what’s happening in the moment. We sometimes get so caught up worrying about the future or getting from point A to point B that we forget to live in the present.
While I know it might not be easy, I am making the effort to consciously take a step back every day and dedicate time for myself. I want to cherish as many moments as I can throughout this pregnancy (and life in general) and stay focused on what really matters in life. We only have one life, so why not do everything we can to spend it well?
I am so happy to be teaming up with Marks & Spencer for their “Life. Spend It Well.” campaign that focuses on making the most of every moment and focusing on what really matters. I believe in this message so much and think it is so important to remind ourselves of it daily. Marks & Spencer is a company I have partnered with before and always love everything I purchase from them. My favorite coat and pair of boots last season was from Marks & Spencer (you can see here and here) and I am always impressed with their quality whether it’s clothing, shoes or bags. I am wearing head to toe Marks & Spencer in both of these looks and you can shop all of the outfit details at the bottom of this post.
If you struggle with feeling overwhelmed or any of the other things I mentioned above, here are eight ways to dedicate time for yourself. I’ll be making an effort to do all of these in order to help myself shut off every now and then and make the most of every moment.
8 Ways to Dedicate Time for Yourself
- Read a book – I have a few pregnancy books that I want to read and I’ve only made it halfway through one. I am determined to dedicate time to completing at least two before this baby arrives!
- Take a nap – while I have had a ton of energy during the second trimester I have noticed I’m starting to get tired more often. I am usually working from the moment I wake up to right before I go to sleep (usually after midnight) so throwing a nap in every now and then would be amazing!
- Go on a walk – it’s so important for me to stay active yet so easy for me to be glued to my computer sitting all day long. Taking Leo for a walk is always fun (because he’s the cutest!) and always helps me clear my head.
- Put down the phone – sounds impossible, I know. Every now and then Ita and I will put our phones away for a set amount of time and it is so refreshing. Both of our jobs require us to be attached to our phones so even just 30 minutes or an hour can make a difference.
- Watch a movie or binge watch a show – Ita and I love our shows but it seems like we never have time to even watch one episode of something nonetheless an entire movie lately. While binge watching an entire season of a show may be impossible, snuggling up on the couch for at least a couple of episodes would be amazing to disconnect.
- Pamper yourself – whether it’s going to get your nails done, a massage, or something as simple as taking a bubble bath. I can’t take baths right now but lighting some candles, pouring a glass of wine and dimming the lights with a nice hot bath is one of the most relaxing things you can do for yourself at home! My back has been killing me lately so I will definitely be scheduling a massage soon.
- Snuggle with your pet – if you’re not an animal lover this one may sound silly but snuggling with Leo is so relaxing! We let him on the furniture so if he is napping on a bed I will sometimes lay down with him for a few minutes to rest. It’s like sleeping with a big, tail-wagging teddy bear and it is so calming. I really feel like he wants to be near me more often than usual since becoming pregnant which is extra special.
- Count Your Blessings – technically you can do this during any of the seven previous things I mentioned but I believe it is important to take time to reflect on everything you’re thankful for. You may not do it every day, but taking 5-10 minutes to think about everything you’re grateful for can lift your mood and provide a greater appreciation for your life in general. I have so much to be thankful for in my life and I know the more I take time to appreciate that each day the happier I will be.
Do you do any of these things already? Plan on incorporating any of them into your week? Leave me a comment and let me know! I’d love to hear of any tips you may have for disconnecting and ways to dedicate time for yourself.
You can click the links below to shop any of the items I’m wearing on Marks & Spencer’s website. I cannot decide which of these summer dresses I love more as they are both so flowy and perfect for summer! I have been using this tote nonstop as my bag for work (easily fits my laptop!) and love that it comes in multiple colors. Also living in those black slides lately and am beyond obsessed with those embroidered mule beauties that come in a flat version and wedge version too (have you seen a prettier shoe?!)! Here are a few more photos because I just love these dresses too much!
Let me know if you have any questions with sizing. Let me know the ways to dedicate time for yourself that you do!
Thanks for reading!
This collaboration was supported by Marks & Spencer and Shopping Links